Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Adding Fruits and Vegies Ideas...

An easy way to start being healthy is to find small ways of just adding fruit and vegies to food that you already eat.

Adding fruit to Pancakes:

If you dont have much time this is perfect! I bought a big bag of Krusteaz pancake mix at Costco for about $6. To every serving that I make for myself I will add fruit. Blueberries, bannanas, pumpkin with- 1 T sugar- 1 tsp cinnamon- 1/2 tsp of ground clover, strawberries, etc. Basically I will try to get whats on sale and use it.

Adding fruit to a peanut butter sandwich:

instead of high sugared/splenda-rized jams and jellies, I really like to cut up bananas. I also love blueberries on my sandwich as well.

Add vegies to smoothies:

So when I get lots of fresh fruit because its on sale, I usually dont eat it all. Instead of wasting it I will freeze it. It works perfect for smoothies. You can even freeze peeled oranges, apples, spinach:) Then I like to add a cup of yogurt, and vegies. Any vegies work. I like carrots and spinach. You really cant even taste that you have vegies mixed in with the fruit. With a little buttered- whole wheat toast and your smoothie, you have a wonderful well balanced breakfast:)

Use a little dip:

Notice how I say a little bit of dip. Dips are usually high in fat and calories. The other day I really- REALLY wanted dessert. I didnt have anything so I got out a green apple and caramel. Which really was a better choice than lets say my husbands 28 gram of fat/300 calorie ice cream bar. Carrots and celery dipped in peanut butter is a great healthy snack. I do love ranch and have to really watch how much of it I eat when I bring out the carrots with dip. But remember, if its the dip and vegies or the ice cream bar, the dip and vegies are giving you more of the nutrients that your body needs.

Add fruit to your dinner:



Especially with the summer coming, watermelons and cantloupe will def be in stock. Make them into cabobs and serve with dinner

For kids-

add sprinkles:

I used this trick for the foster kids that we had and it totally worked. For dessert I would give them fruit, but what kid wants fruit for dessert right? So I would put a dab of whip cream and some fun sprinkles on top. They loved it

Decorate the plate:

Make a face out of the vegies/ fruit- or let the kids make their own faces on their plate and have fun eating the different parts.

Decorate the fruit:

Ants on a log: This was another favorite of the kids. I would put peanut butter on celery and use raisons or choc chips to make a line on the celery making it look like ants:)

Mash it:
Add it to breads, soups, pancakes. You can also puree cauliflower and mix it into mashed potatos... sooo YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment